An earthquake (also known as a quake, tremor, or temblor) is the result of a sudden release of energy in the Earth's crust that creates seismic waves. Earthquakes are recorded with a seismometer, also known as a seismograph. The moment magnitude (or the related and mostly obsolete Richter magnitude) of an earthquake is conventionally reported, with magnitude 3 or lower earthquakes being mostly imperceptible and magnitude 7 causing serious damage over large areas. Intensity of shaking is measured on the modified Mercalli scale.
- The Philippines was hit by another round of minor earthquakes in the areas of Davao Oriental and Batangas on Tuesday, April 11.
Philippine Earthquakes 2017 Update: Three Fast Facts About The Earthquakes That Hit The Country TodayA number of earthquakes have been hitting the Philippines recently, including the Batangas earthquake as well as the one in Northern Samar and Ilocos Sur on Monday, April 10, 2017.
- A magnitude 6.7 earthquake hit Surigao City, causing damages to buildings, bridges, and even its airport. Surigao City was declared under the state of calamity.
- The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology-Department of Science and Technology (PHIVOLCS-DOST) reported no tsunami threat despite a magnitude 7.2 earthquake in Sulu Sea on Tuesday at 2:13 pm. PHIVOLCS-DOST also recorded other quakes that happened later on the same day in some parts of Mindanao.
- An El Salvador earthquake and hurricane Otto hit Central America on Thursday. The magnitude 7.0 earthquake struck El Salvador while the hurricane moved into the Caribbean coasts of Nicaragua and Costa Rica.
- After the Japan earthquake on Nov. 22, 2016, several earthquake and tsunami experts, including US Geological Survey's (USGS) National Earthquake Information Center seismologist Don Blakeman, have issued their warnings and analyses about it.
- Japan's 6.9 magnitude earthquake off the country's Miyagi and Fukushima Prefectures has sparked tsunami waves of more than 1 meter on Tuesday morning. According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, all tsunami warnings and advisories have been lifted as of 12:50 JST.
Magnitude 5.0 Earthquake Hits General Nakar, Quezon, Shocks Felt In Metro Manila And Nearby ProvincesAn earthquake with a magnitude of 5.0 hit General Nakar and Infanta, Quezon on Thursday afternoon. The Philippine Institute of Volcanology and Seismology - Department of Science and Technology (PHIVOLCS - DOST) reported no damages caused by the earthquake.
- Mount Bulusan in Sorsogon has erupted twice this week. It was observed to have erupted on Monday and early on Wednesday. Alert level 1 is issued to residents nearby.
#Pagyanig: Check Out The Tweets About The 3rd Quarter CY 2016 National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill In PHThe Philippines conducted its 3rd Quarter CY 2016 National Simultaneous Earthquake Drill (NESD) on Wednesday, Sept. 28, which started at 9 am.