Politics & Policy
- A Muntinlupa regional trial court (RTC) ordered the arrest of Senator Leila de Lima on Thursday over one of three criminal charges filed against her.
- The Chamber of Mines of the Philippines (COMP) asked the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) to give full disclosure of the mining audit reports of the companies subjected to the department's mining industry review.
- The Bureau of Customs' (BOC) intelligence agents confiscated alleged smuggled rice worth P20 million in a warehouse in Taytay, Rizal on Feb. 2.
- President Rodrigo Duterte also stopped all National Bureau of Investigation's (NBI) anti-illegal drug operations after Philippine National Police's (PNP) suspension from his war on drugs campaign. The responsibilities on the fight against illegal drugs were solely back to PDEA with the help of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP).
- Uber CEO Travis Kalanick has decided to quit Donald Trump's business advisory group amidst protest following the US President's immigration ban.
- The Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) announced the names of the 23 mining companies ordered to be closed and five others for suspension. The orders were based on the results and recommendations of the multi-sectoral audit teams engaged to investigate the mining companies.
- The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) supports the House Bill (HB) No. 4721 providing employees the "right to disconnect."
- President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the dismantling of all anti-illegal drug units in the Philippine National Police (PNP). The PNP will focus first on the organization's internal cleansing.
- US President Donald Trump signed an executive memorandum on Monday, which withdrew the US from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP). It was Trump fulfilling his campaign promise but also opening doors to China. Wall Street was down following Trump's executive memo.
- People Management Association of the Philippines (PMAP) President Ramon Segismundo said that the additional SSS premium may result in wage increase demand.